Thursday, April 7, 2011

My New Inspiration

The other day in my photography class we watched a documentary called the September Issue. For those of you who don't know, this documents the process of publishing the September 2007 issue of Vogue. I sat there, finally feeling inspired by something, even if it was 4 years old, and a discussion started. It was more of a string of commentary. You see, a lot of my classmates think fashion is stupid, ridiculous, or, unnecessary. Now, you may not be able to tell because of my frazzled/ruffled appearance, but I care about fashion and how I look. I just run out of time to make myself look nice when it's 7:30 and I just rolled out of bed to feed my cat when I need to be at class by 8 am. It's rough. My hair has decided to be partly curly, part straight. A new development.

About this commentary, one segment in particular: An ad came on that ran about red lipstick. Someone, I can't remember who, but it was one of the guys, said loudly that that is one thing that guys don't like. And then another guy in my class chimes in about an article on what women think men like, but men hate. In that article it discussed red lipstick and short hair.
Contrary to their popular asinine belief, I have short hair not because I was thinking it would make all of the men fall madly in love with me, but because IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII liked it. I had long long hair. It was a pain. Pretty when I did it, sometimes even when I didn't do it. But I didn't want it anymore. I wasn't interested in dating. I was having fun. I was finding myself. And no, just because I have short hair doesn't mean that I like women. (Also a popular idea, especially with the creepy women at PetSmart...)

With the exception of my teacher, who was also thinking this commentary was great, the male participants in this "convo" are married or engaged. Good for them!

Also, I do know guys that like short hair. But it doesn't matter.

Women do not always dress to attract men (or women).

Personally, I dress for myself.

I cut my hair for myself.

I wear makeup because I love it.

I shower because it's nice to do.

I felt inspired then. That day, I left that class with a determination to change the world. To be fashionable once again. To be so wonderful that I won't be able to resist myself. I will make my mark on this world. And I am going to do it whether I have hair or not.

Just for fun, here are some pictures of me. One with long(ish) hair and the other with short hair.














2 comments:

Annie Ostler said...

I agree with you 100%. I don't even care if guys like what i'm wearing or not--it only matters what i think...and other fashion savvy girls like yourself!

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

"I shower because it's nice to".... hehehe....

nice.

You just don't want to stank<_ and yes, I said STANK. :D
(Which you totally don't, you're always pleasantly lovely smelling :D)