Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Hair is so tricky. Some days it looks good, other days it's kind of blech, and on those rare occasions... you look like a rock star. Recently, I have been caught in a run of those "blech" hair days. So, I cut it. All. Off. I had been thinking about cutting my hair in stages, you know, shoulder length first, then shorter later. That isn't exactly how it happened though.

Last Tuesday, I woke up with a start, realizing that I had approximately 10 minutes before I needed to be at the bus stop. I smelled to high heavens since I had worked my patooti off the night before running and exercising (I have been falling asleep as soon as I get to my bedroom lately). I had to shower. I busted out an outfit and hurtled myself into the water. Did the fastest shampoo job in the history of my hair, shut the water off, dove into my clothes, stuffed makeup in my purse and grabbed a towel to dry my drenched hair on the way. While I was drying my hair at the bus stop, I realized how ridiculous the situation was. I had super long hair that was sopping wet, making my clothes sopping wet. I looked like I had hopped out of the washing machine with no time for a hop in the dryer.

On the way to work my hair kept getting caught underneath my purse strap and I kept having to yank it out from underneath. This was quite the process as I am neither a light traveler or a highly coordinated person. Luckily I was sitting for part of the time.

When I got to work, still dripping wet and my shirt now a little more sheer than was intended (it was white...) I sat down at my desk. My hair flopped and flipped and dripped and dried. I was sick of it. I had a ribbon in my hair and that was probably the only cute thing about it. I was done. I looked up haircuts, some semi-short ones, and then I looked up super-short hairstyles and stumbled upon an the article that empowered me to take my hair and my life back into my own hands. I was not going to be stopped.

My dear friend Hailey was moving in with us that night, and I asked her if she would cut it right away. She was quite obliging, and pretty excited.

After we got her all settled in that night, we set to choppin' my hair off.

The last picture of my hair dry didn't seem to get saved on the camera, but here is a picture of it long and wet!
I decided to go big and donate my hair to Locks of Love. Hailey put my hair into 3 ponytails so all of the hair could be used. Each one was about 10 inches in length. She just chopped those suckers right off! (I'll admit, I freaked out a little bit. But after that, I was pumped!)

Hailey just kept cutting and cutting and cutting! She was so good! After that first ponytail went down I knew I was going to be super happy with my hair!
Here's me with my ponytails!

And today I actually styled my hair! I absolutely love it! It took everyone a while to recognize me! I am so happy! I feel like myself again, just hotter.

2 comments:

Gabe said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

You feel like yourself but hotter? Or COOLER? (as in temperature.... I bet you got it... but I just thought I'd say it anyway... lol)

You are a cute little pixie again. :)

I'd show the girls your picture... but I'm afraid that Maggie would pick up the scissors again. ;)

You. Are. Beautiful!